Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Pearl Harbour Dress Update

Hey! How's everyones week going?
Mine has been a pretty busy one courtesy of this dress.

Hollywood 785

So far so good!

So this is how I started my week by getting the bodice all attached

I then did the same with the skirt panels (5 in total), and added large stitches around the top ready for gathering. I then got the sleeves ready by adding 2 darts to each sleeve and hemming the ends by using a narrow bias facing in matching black cotton.

I then attempted something I've never done before.. bound buttonholes!
This was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be considering I've heard from quite a few sewing blogs that they are a nightmare. What do you think? Here's a close up shot of my attempts

Not perfect, but not bad for a first try no?

I've also attached the front facings, and have got the collar ready to be basted then sewn onto the neckline.

Next up will be to get the bodice & skirt attached together, then to make up some shoulder pads (another first for me).

I'll keep you posted!


  1. Looks great so far - especially those bound buttonholes!

  2. Good! I have never done those kind of buttonholes, I really want to try to do them, but as you, I've heard they are difficult to do it.

  3. Its looking wonderful! Your button holes look great! I have a dress that has remained unfinished for far too long due to my fear of bound button holes, You have inspired me to have a go!

    1. I'm glad! Gertie has a great tutorial on her blog if you need something to help you along -
      I'm really happy with how they came out, but I definitely need a bit more practise!